Friday, July 22, 2011

Well, that was certainly fast...

Today when I checked on the status of my bubbles, I was a little scared when I noticed that it had pretty much stopped.  I also saw a lees was already settling at the bottom!  I stopped and shook it up, checked the temperature, panicked a little.  You know, the norm.

Then, I thought, "maybe the fermentation is just about done?"  So I broke out the trusty hydrometer and pulled a sample.  I got a reading of 1.012, a whopping .09 less than the must started at.  That's an alcohol content of nearly 12% ABV.  The yeast I used had a tolerance of about 13% so it's possible the little guys just burned through it really fast and made so much booze they couldn't handle it anymore!

I'm going to go ahead and rack the mixture so it can settle for a few more days before I move it to a REALLY neat jug I've had around the house for years and totally ignored.  I'll show that off soon as I get it cleaned up!

1 comment:

  1. Mine did much the same! I don't have a hydrometer at this point (mine busted or disappeared or something) so I will just set it aside for a couple of days and rack it over once more to make sure it isn't just sitting on it's lees. :)

    ReplyDelete